Ban Appeal

Space Station 14 Username: Cobravenum

Banning Admin's SS14 Username: FungiFellow 

Are you banned from the Server or a Job/Department: Banned from all Command and Security roles for 14 days

The reason you were banned: image.png.e68b8ca0593efa51b44305cfc823f098.png

Everything that lead to your ban, give a detailed explanation. Relevant info only and don't leave anything important out:

This is kind of a long story, and I apologize for that, but I think it's important for you to understand my reasoning for what I did and the steps I took.

At beginning of the round, I woke in cryo and started my shift as CE. I went to engineering and set up the AME. After setting up the AME, I saw a message over the Command radio channel where someone, who I now know was HOS, was summoning me to the bridge. It seems that this was the second time I was called to the bridge, because the message I saw was pretty aggressive. I advised over Command radio that I was working on power before, but I was now on my way. 

I get to the bridge and see "John Station" wearing HOS gear. He tells me to use the jaws of life to open the captain's room so he can get the nuke disk. My first thought was to check if we had a Captain using the PDA and looking in the crew manifest, because if we did, I didn't think it would be right to just break into the captain's room. Upon checking the crew manifest, I saw that there was no captain, but I also saw that there was no HOS. According to the crew manifest, the only Command jobs that had been filled at that time were myself (CE), CMO, and either QM or RD (I can't recall which, it might have been both), but there was no HOS. 

This raised a red flag for me. Because the person in front of me was claiming to be HOS, and was not HOS in the manifest, I was concerned that John Station was not the HOS, and was attempting to obtain the nuke disk for a nefarious purpose. I checked the manifest again and found John Station listed as a Passenger. At this time, I believed that John Station must have somehow obtained HOS gear and was attempting to trick me into opening the captain's room for him by posing as HOS. This theory was lightly supported by the way that I was summoned to the bridge in a fairly aggressive manner. 

I remember a past round where I was CE, and a person who had stolen the Captain's gear had summoned me to the bridge and ordered me to give him my Advanced Magboots. He, like HOS in this instance, also aggressively gave me the order. Since he appeared to be the captain, I gave him the boots. I later found out that person was actually either a thief or syndicate who had the goal to steal CE boots. Thinking back on that round, I was under the impression that something similar was happening this time with HOS, but with something more important because it was the nuke disk and not just magboots. The main reason being John Station appearing in the crew manifest as a Passenger, rather than HOS, but also his behavior up to that point. 

Thinking that John Station was a traitor, I quickly obtained and wielded the fire axe that was located on the bridge. I told him I would not open the captain's room and that I believed he was a traitor. I don't recall if during the conversation at this point, I pointed out that he wasn't in the manifest as HOS. I might have just said, "There is no HOS". His reply was something like "What are you talking about? I am HOS", but I don't recall exactly what was said. 

Believing he was a traitor attempting to obtain the nuke disk, and knowing that he could kill me to obtain the jaws of life and open the captain's room himself, I began to attack John Station with the fire axe. He pulled out a stun baton and used it to stun me before I could crit him. I announced over the radio that John Station was a traitor posing as HOS and tried to alert the crew of the danger. John Station cuffed me and dragged me to Sec. When we arrived, he removed everything I was carrying with the exception of my clothing, boots, and radio headset. This included him taking my PDA. 

We had some banter back and forth with him asking me what I thought the punishment should be for attempted murder of HOS, and him telling me he still wanted me to open the captain's room for him. I told him he now had my tools and could open it himself, and that I wouldn't help him take over the station. He said that because I was CE, he wanted me to do it because it was my job. By this point, if I didn't say it to him on the bridge, I had definitely brought up to him, and one other Sec, maybe the detective, that was also there, that John Station was a Passenger on the crew manifest and not HOS. Neither of them offered an explanation for why the manifest said that, but John Station continued to insist he was HOS. 

I was given a 4 minute jail sentence. Once the 4 minutes were out, I exited the cell and a sec officer unlocked a locker that had all the items that were taken from me. I took the items back and John Station again ordered me to open the captain's room. Believing that things were hopeless if Sec was already compromised, I told him I would agree if he just left me and my department alone. He agreed to do so. 

I went with him back to the bridge, he grabbed the fire axe and told me to open the captain's room. I went to the door, waited a moment , and told him that I had changed my mind and would not open the door, and he would have to kill me and take my gear and do it himself. At this point, he repeated began pointing at his HOS name tag and PDA, and telling me he was HOS. I asked him why he wasn't on the crew manifest as HOS, and again he did not provide an explanation. John Station then, I guess by using the access computer and giving himself access (I don't really know how that system works), just went into the captain's room himself. I waited outside the room until he came back. He seemed flustered that I didn't just let him in. 

I don't recall how we parted, but eventually I left the bridge and made my way back to engineering. After I was in engineering for a little bit, I see a message over the command radio from John Station telling all department heads to report to the bridge for tracking implants. I decided not to report, but instead to see if I could get to any of the other department heads before they got the implants and tell them what I thought was going on. I did this for two reasons. One, I considered that I might have been mistaken about John Station not being HOS, and figured if anyone could explain that to me, it would be one of the other department heads. Two, if the other heads didn't have an explanation, I wanted to see if they would be interested in getting together with me to retake the station from John Station. 

My plan was to go to each department head and tell them what had happened. If they didn't have some idea about why John Station wasn't on the manifest as HOS, but was acting as HOS, I would then inform them of my plan to work together with the other heads to take down John Station. 

I started with the CMO. I went to med and talked to the CMO in her office. I told her what had happened, and she too believed that John Station was not the real HOS. She was also concerned because she had went to the bridge already and got a tracking implant. I advised I would speak to the other heads and come back to talk to her. CMO said she would work on getting a drug to knock out HOS when it was time to fight. 

I then went to cargo and talked to QM. QM believed John Station was not the HOS, and said he would work on getting us weapons, but he was concerned that John Station would find out and kill him. I told him I didn't think it was likely he would find out. 

At this point, we now had a HOP, so I went there and told him what was going on. He also said he would join us in trying to take down John Station. 

Lastly, I went to Sci and talked to RD, who agreed to join us. 

None of the people in these command positions ever suggested any reason that John Station was listed as a passenger in the manifest and not HOS. Every one of them believed he was in imposter. 

RD and I started rounding the other heads up. We met up with CMO and together, the three of us went looking for QM. We couldn't find him, so we went back to med to use the crew monitor. CMO checked the monitor and told us that QM was dead. I believed that John Station must have found out that QM was ordering weapons and killed him. 

CMO informed me that she had a drug to put John Station to sleep, and had made some handcuffs. The plan was to put him to sleep and kill him. RD, CMO, and I went to find HOP near the bridge. We met up with HOP and the four of us talked on the bridge about the plan. HOP asked if we had contacted CentCom about this. I told him we did not. In hindsight, this would have probably been the smart thing to do. HOP said he was going to contact CentCom.

Right around this time, John Station came to the bridge and saw the four of us whispering. Fearing he would suspect something, I walked out of the bridge, followed by RD and CMO. HOP went to his office. I thought we were screwed at that point, but CMO, RD, and I went back to the bridge where John Station was. CMO injected John Station with sleeping drugs and handcuffed him. She then dragged him to Med. RD and I followed her to med. CMO took John Station to the morgue where myself and CMO beat John Station to death, before CMO used a biomass grinder machine to grind John Station's body up. Before he was ground up, I took John Station's belongings, including his weapons, because I thought other members of sec might be mistakenly on his side and would try to kill us. 

There were two random crew members in the morgue who saw CMO and I beat up and CMO shred John Station's body. One of them said they wouldn't say anything, but the other one (apparently correctly) thought we were doing something wrong and tried to stop us by using a pistol. I used the gun I found on John Station's body to kill that random crew member in self defense. CMO placed that crew member's body in the morgue casket. 

Neither RD, nor HOP, were in the morgue when this all happened. I think RD got locked out, and I didn't see HOP after he went to his office after our meeting on the bridge. I announced over command radio that the channel was safe to use again because the fake HOS was dead. RD asked if we should evac and I said that was probably a good idea. CMO said Sec was probably after us. I agreed and told her, "at least we got the leader". We heard banging on the morgue door and CMO and I went out the back door. We made our way separately to the evacuation shuttle. 

While on my way to the shuttle, I was AHelp'd by FungiFellow asking why we had done what we did. I tried to explain as best I could but, as you can see, this is a long story. I now know, according to FungiFellow in AHelp after the round, that John Station not being HOS in crew manifest was due to what he called a "clerical error" and that John Station was in fact the real HOS. I told FungiFellow that we thought we were helping the station by doing what we did. FungiFellow told me "I have every reason to believe you did this to be petty". I asked him why he thought that, and explained I had nothing against John Station, and that I truly believed he was a traitor. FungiFellow did not reply. After the round ended, I checked admin remarks and discovered my ban. 

Why you should be unbanned:

Myself and the other heads of department were only acting on the information that was known to us at the time. We were clearly not aware that someone could actually be a command role, but show up as passenger in the crew manifest. John Station not being HOS on the manifest, combined with other things we saw, led us to come to an incorrect conclusion. At no time did anyone ever mention that this issue with the manifest was something that could happen. The "clerical error" with the manifest is a very big deal, because we play a game where deception is often the main tool used by antags. If we go into a round believing that the crew manifest correctly shows what jobs people have, with the exception of changes by HOP or promotions, etc, and we act off of that information, I do not understand how those actions can be incompetence. 

What happened was an unfortunate accident due to a "clerical error", which I'm assuming just means a bug with the game. Hopefully it gets fixed soon. To anyone reading this in the future, I suggest as a temporary remedy, using LOOC chat to confirm something that the game should have done but didn't. If John Station or I had used LOOC chat at the very beginning to discuss this issue, none of this would have happened. I wish I had thought of that before needing to write this appeal. 

To me, it seems I have been banned because we were wrong, not because of incompetence, but because of incomplete information that none us department heads knew we could get or should even look for. I don't know if the other heads from that round received similar bans, but if they did, I would make the same argument for them, and ask that their bans be lifted too. 

Thank you.

• Game Admin

This appeal has been denied.

- the staff team has determined to not accept this appeal due to your gross incompetency, as you did murder and RR'Ed hos because they aren't in manifest, that's not really a good reason to handle that situation. You could have ahelp it or at least have them restrain for further investigation.

We give this ban to you so you may learn you actions.

In twilight’s gentle, whispering embrace, I pen these lines, a hello to place. A greeting spun in hues of dusk, A tender touch, a fleeting musk.
As daylight fades and shadows grow, I send this note, a warm hello. Yet in its folds, a soft goodbye, For moments pass like stars on high.
Welcome, dear friend, to this new dawn, Where every ending’s but withdrawn. In each hello, a farewell's hue, For every start bids past adieu.
So take this sweet and brief verse: A hello cloaked in autumn’s leaf. And though it sounds like Parting’s song, It’s where our journey now belongs.