Admin Application - Wafehling

What's your Space Station 14 Username: wafehling

What's your Discord Username: artraccoon

What's your playtime amount on the Goob Server: 109h 11m

How old are you: 30

Have you ever been banned from the Goob Server: Nope!

Have you played on any other SS13 or SS14 servers? If so, name them, and tell us your playtime on the server(s): Wizden: 647+hrs; Delta-V: 43hrs; Frontier: 81hr; RMC13: 3hrs

------------------------------------------

Time

How many hours can you admin per week: 10 minimum, often more!

On what days can you get on to Admin: Most days, unless I'm out of town or something I should have time

What timezone are you in: Us Central, GMT -6

General Questions

Why do you want to become a Game Admin? Go into detail about it and tell us a lot about it:

I want to help make the game more enjoyable for everyone, learn the backend/mechanics of how it all works better, and help hunt down bugs and problems that crop up.

There's been a lot of times a bug has hindered mine or other player's enjoyment of the game, or there's been a bug I want to investigate further and learn the root cause of, but can't with the limited data available to a regular player, and as an admin I could solve both problems.

I know a fair bit about the backend mechanics and have submitted several successful PRs to the upstream github, and enjoy using the tools available in singleplayer/dev mode to do creative and helpful things, and backend testing/bug hunting when something doesn't seem right. 

If someone ingame needs help, with bugs, or OOC harassment, rulebreakers, raiding, etc and they ahelp but no one is there to assist, it's never a good feeling. I want to help fill in the gaps so that doesn't happen as much.

Have you adminned for any other SS13 or SS14 server? If so, tell us about your experiences during that time, and if possible, give us proof of this: Never for an actual server, but I have used the admin tools and commands for development/testing purposes, and I know my way around them pretty well at this point. No social experience adminning, but plenty of mechanical know-how. Here's a link to a PR of mine: https://github.com/space-wizards/space-station-14/pull/26269

What role do you think the Game Admins exactly serve: They're there to help diagnose/fix bugs, answer Ahelps, resolve disputes/problems that escalate beyond IC, clarify rules, keep things running smoothly, try out ideas, and help everyone have fun.

What do you think is the current roleplay status of the server, what do you think can be done to improve it: I think it's great! I've had lots of fun experiences and good RP with people. It could always be more involved, Goob is MRP after all, and there's almost always going to be some level of chaos/NRP behavior going on. I think just helping explain to people how things work, guiding them if they want advice or assistance on how to "get into the groove" of better RP so to speak can go a long way. 

The more questions questions. (You should put more than just one or two sentences.)

Say, someone who already has a note on RDM from before, for example, was to RDM and kill two people, but they've left already before you could admin help them. How would you handle the problem? 
     I would be sure to put a remark about it occurring in the records, send a message that they would read when next logging in, and depending on the severity and the escalation rules, issue a ban. If I'm not sure what level of reaction is appropriate I'd ask other admins for advice. I would also reach out to those they killed, and help them get back into things. Revive them if they wish and that's an appropriate response, get them back into the game and have a better experience.

Captain seems to have disconnected before they died or the round ended. This is the first time they've disconnected while playing a very important job. What would you do about them? 
    Give them some time to reconnect, move them somewhere safe if needed to discourage messing with a SSD player's body, and send them a friendly message reminding them to please not abandon important command roles mid-round in the future, while also keeping in mind it could be an internet outage, emergency, etc, and that these things happen. Put their body in cryo to open up the job slot if they do not return.

You see a passenger player mess around too much and start interfering with a Security Officer's arrest by uncuffing the Officer's prisoner, as the passenger runs, the Officer pulls out their gun and shoots the passenger almost to death. What's wrong here and how would you handle the situation as an Admin?
    I'd message both of them, reminding the security officer to remember the rules of escalation, and to use non-lethal force for these sort of things whenever possible, and reminding the passenger that self-antag behavior is not allowed. Could direct the sec player to the rules of escalation section of space law, and direct the passenger to the specific rules regarding self-antagging, and also give them advice of more productive things to do.

You see a chemist who has only made basic meds start gathering materials and talking about making uranium foam grenades in chat. Right as they start making the grenades they roll as a midround sleeper syndie. How would you handle the situation if at all?
    There are a lot of factors involved, they may have a valid reason, or someone else may have ordered them, to create that grenade, or they might just be messing around and seeing what happens. I'd investigate the situation and see if they've done anything directly self-antagy before this, and keep an eye on them. 

You see a clown using crayon to write on the floor in front of security. The clown writings are negative things about security, like “shitsec”. A secoff tells the clown that they’re being arrested for vandalism, stuns them, and cuffs them. Before the secoff is able to get the clown into the brig, a passenger slips the secoff, causing them to lose their baton, then uses the baton to stun another secoff that comes to help as the clown runs away. The passenger escapes through disposals. Having heard an AOS radio callout, the detective enters maintenance near disposals and shoots the passenger to crit. There are four players in this scenario, the clown, the passenger, the secoff, and the detective.
    Clown: If they're doing the "art" because someone else in sec is going along with it or asking them to or something like that (The HoS said "Sure, draw whatever you want" and walked off for example), leave it be. If they're just being an IC goofy menace and refusing to stop or leave, they're at least not skipping steps in the escalation ladder. If they're doing it to be hostile in a more OOC/NRP sort of way, a bwoink might be in order. 
    Secoff: If the clown is trying to escape capture and refusing to leave peacefully when asked, reasonable enough, they've forced sec to escalate to that point and they're allowed to jump to non-lethals if needed. If they're just beating someone who's not resisting or is trying to talk to them, possible bwoink about escalation rules.
    Passenger: If the passenger is an antag they're doing antag-y things, stealing useful  contraband, and resisting the rule of the station without getting excessively murder-y or disruptive beyond their goals, that's fine, they're excempt from escalation rules. If they're self-antaging, that definitely warrants an ahelp message, check of their history, and going from there.
    Detective: If the passenger has stolen and used non-lethals against sec, freed a prisoner, and fled from capture, they've escalated things pretty far. Did the AOS call say that they're "violent" or somesuch without clarification? The Det may think they've done something even more serious/escalated and is trying to respond in turn. The passenger has escalated things to the non-lethal stage so while it is a bad thing to make a habit of, a dangerous unknown with a stolen non-lethal weapon is a reasonable target, especially if the detective doesn't have a non-lethal option on hand for one reason or another. If they leave them to bleed out, or do anything besides take them to medbay or sec, that's definitely a problem, but if they help them out and treat them properly, it's worth investigating but will probably not be a problem.

You and another Admin have been doing your job without problems, you then catch a command staff member misuse contraband. While you are in the middle of the ahelp, the other admin jumps into the middle of your ahelp with a rule clarification that is plainly incorrect. Whithout the interruption, what would have you asked the command staff member, and how would you have responded or reacted to the interrupting admin?
    I would've asked them if they knew that was contraband, shown where to find the list of contraband in the rules, and explained the rules around it to them as needed, as well as make sure it's handled properly afterwards. With the message from the other admin, I would've messaged them separately from the ahelp asking them something like "Did you mean X? Sorry, I'm not sure how  Y is a relevant rule regarding this" and gone from there, and clarified with the player afterwards. 

Edited by wafehling

• 3 weeks later...