Redcreeper - Admin application

------------------------------------------

Check

What's your Space Station 14 Username: Redcreeper

What's your Discord Username: Redcreeper

How long have you been playing Space Station 14?: Since Late 2023

What's your playtime amount on the Goob Station Server: 70-ish hours

How old are you: 18

Have you ever been banned from the Goob Station Server: Temp role ban from Kira for 2 hours because I didn't want to play CS 

image.png.d969e2a655e8b31d122edcc8b8049edf.png

Have you played on any other SS13 or SS14 servers? If so, name them, and tell us your playtime on the server(s):

RMC-14: 70 hours

Wizden: 400-ish hours

Frontier: 220 hours + Whitelisted

Time

How many hours can you admin per week: 10-15 hours

On what days can you get on to Admin: Mon - Fri: 6-9PM

Sat-Sun: 9AM-8PM

What timezone are you in: UTC-5

General Questions

Why do you want to become a Game Admin? Go into detail about it and tell us a lot about it:

I've heard of the uh... "drama" that's been going on here lately, and since Goob is the main server which I play SS14 on nowadays, I want to help it become a truly great experience. I like to oversee what others are doing without interjecting myself into it unless necessary, I want to let people play out their own little stories while I make it run smoothly and safe from people who want to disrupt everyone else's good time. I would also like to be able to create little stories myself, be it through occasional admemes and such, as while the base game is great on its own, I personally believe that the true power of SS14 is in its freedom to create innumerable, insane scenarios, and Admins have a powerful, guiding hand in that aspect.

Do you have any prior admin experience on another SS13/SS14 server? If so, tell us about your experiences during that time, and if possible, give us proof of this:

No, but I have always been interested in this type of thing and like to watch others in game do it!

What role do you think the Game Admins exactly serve:

Admins are the people who maintain the machine that is the server. Admins are supposed to care for the community that's built itself up in that machine, while also removing those from the community that seek to pursue their own gain over the wellbeing of everyone else. Admins are the great communicators of the server. Without a guiding hand, chaos and sludge can easily overtake a community, and with an admin that misunderstands their role, the community can be pushed in an unsavory direction. Game Admins are the Arbiters that make way for others to enjoy the server.

What are you primarily interested in doing as an admin?:

In terms of doing actual administrative work, I think helping those with issues in normal gameplay, like fixing completely broken systems that result from game error.

In terms of fun, goofy stuff, Helping the players do small things, like answering prayers for like a squeaky hammer or a skub plush, or doing mini side events during rounds, like helping a monkey become a religious icon.

What are you least interested in doing as an admin?:

I have a skill issue in terms of being able to determine someone's remorsefulness, so I feel it would be denying/accepting ban appeals.

What makes you a great addition to Staff?:

I like to be very thorough; I don't like to judge others without good, sufficient evidence or reasoning to, and I always try to get to the true reasoning or circumstances for things.

What do you think is the current roleplay status of the server, what do you think can be done to improve it:

In my opinion, the roleplay status of the server needs no adjustment from being LRP. Servers like Goob are very needed at the moment, as servers like RMC, Frontier or Hullrot, whilst very fun, don't give the same flexibility that LRP can provide, and seeing Jerma busting through every station wall to find and eat Renault is very funny.

Other than banning problematic players, what admin actions do you believe have the biggest positive impact?:

I believe that the actions that have the largest positive impact on the community are ones that involve the admins actively listening to the community, like listening to prayers or relaying feedback from players towards contributors.

Have you ever had a negative experience in the game or with a game admin? If so what, if anything, would you do to prevent other players from experiencing this?:

I have not personally had a bad experience with the game or its admins.

Have you ever had a good experience with the game or a game admin? If so, what was it?:

Yes! Some of my favorite experiences on the server were with interacting with admins, like playing Russian roulette with CBozo, or Bozo commenting on me telling someone to eat my fireballs as a dragon whilst destroying the station.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality of an admin?:

I believe admins need to be transparent. Frustrations with a moderation team often result from an admin refusing to elaborate why they've done something.  Of course, transparency isn't the end-all solution for admins, but it can help greatly.

Scenarios Questions (You should put more than just one or two sentences.)

It is the start of the round. There are 60 players on the server. The game mode is traitors, traitors have not been selected yet. There are three players who decided to observe the round instead of join it orbiting you. Two of them are encouraging you to “do something funny”.

Since the round has just started, I don't see a reason to interfere in the round in any way. I would tell the players to try and wait for something to happen, as they haven't given the game the chance to do something interesting, and as they've chosen to observe rather than play through the round normally. If the round has progressed a bit, and some players have naturally died, AND there is another admin willing to stay observant for trouble in the station, I might do something funny in the admin test area, but other than that, I shouldn't do anything to affect the station in any dramatic way, as those events should be determined by a majority of players, not the discretion of one admin.

Say, someone who already has a note on RDM from before, for example, was to RDM and kill two people, but they've left already before you could admin help them. How would you handle the problem?

Since the player has committed an offence before, and knows that they've broken a rule, the base duration of the ban would be 3 days. However, since they evaded the ahelp by leaving directly after, the ban should be increased by 7 days, bringing the total up to a 10 day ban. In the ban information given to the player, I would instruct them to head to the appeal forums here Ban Appeals - Goob Station

Captain seems to have disconnected before they died or the round ended. This is the first time they've disconnected while playing a very important job. What would you do about them?

I would wait around 5 minutes or so before I enact any action. If they return during this period, I would send them an ahelp message, asking the reason that they had disconnected. If they have a sufficient explanation, such as a time-out, or an outage, then I would kindly inform them that if they need to intentionally disconnect from a command role for any reason in the future, to please ahelp before doing so, and leave them without a warning, as they had no control over the situation. However, if they do not come back within this time frame, I would leave them a message for the next time they join the server, informing them that since they have disconnected from a command role without an ahelp, and had not returned within a reasonable time, I had given them a warning, and that if they could reach to me about this warning with a valid reason for leaving unprompted, I would remove the warning.

You see a chemist who has only made basic meds start gathering materials and talking about making uranium foam grenades in chat. Right as they start making the grenades they roll as a midround sleeper Syndicate. How would you handle the situation if at all?

If I had noticed this behavior before they had rolled Syndie, I would ahelp them, warning them that prepping materials that is not needed for their job is considered power gaming, and if this is their first offence, I would give them a warning. If I had noticed this in the middle of them beginning to make the grenades, and the subsequently rolling syndie, I would shoot them an ahelp, warning them against prepping with unnecessary items in the future, but not leave a warning on their account. Granted, this situation is a very rare occurrence, and based on other circumstances i could very well take different actions.

You see a clown using crayon to write on the floor in front of security. The clown writings are negative things about security, like “shitsec”. A secoff tells the clown that they’re being arrested for vandalism, stuns them, and cuffs them. Before the secoff is able to get the clown into the brig, a passenger slips the secoff, causing them to lose their baton, then uses the baton to stun another secoff that comes to help as the clown runs away. The passenger escapes through disposals. Having heard an AOS radio callout, the detective enters maintenance near disposals and shoots the passenger to crit. There are four players in this scenario, the clown, the passenger, the secoff, and the detective.

Clown: The clown has not broken any rules. No action.

Passenger: Actions depend. If the passenger is an antagonist, they have every right to do what they just did, no action. If the passenger is NOT an antag, I would send them an ahelp, informing them that they've self-antagged. If it's their first offence, I may leave them with a warning or a 12H game ban based on their responses and willingness to correct the issue, however, if this a reoccurrence, I would give them anywhere from a 12H to 3D game ban in concurrence with other circumstances.

Secoff: Only doing their job, no action.

Detective: The detective was responding to what they could have understood to be an Attack or Arrest on sight call in disposals, HOWEVER, immedietly jumping to using a gun to resolve a conflict when you've only been informed of a passenger with a stun baton is reasonably Over-escalation, so I would send them an ahelp, informing them that in the future, they should seek to respond to these situations non-lethally, and send them on their way with a warning.

You and another Admin have been doing your job without problems, you then catch a command staff member misuse contraband. While you are in the middle of the ahelp, the other admin jumps into the middle of your ahelp with a rule clarification that is plainly incorrect. Without the interruption, what would have you asked the command staff member, and how would you have responded or reacted to the interrupting admin?

Without the interruption, I would ahelp the command member asking them of their reason for carrying the contraband. If they give a reasonable explanation as to why the need to use such contra, and not just because they wanted to, then I would inform them that using it for personal reasons goes against "Unreasonable failure of security/command to follow space law." If no good reason is given, Warning to 3-7 day role ban depending on the severity of the misuse.

In reference to the interrupting other admin, I would privately speak to them in either admin chat or discord about the issue, not commenting about it in the ahelp besides clarifying the correct information. I would respectfully ask them to not interrupt future ahelps, as it can cause severe confusion, and make sure to clarify them on their misinformation respectfully again in private.

You are ahelping a player about an issue. The player has no prior noted issues. A few days earlier, an admin had told you that this type of situation should result in a temporary ban for a first offense, and you are confident that this situation is not substantially different from the type that admin was describing. During the ahelp, another admin pings you on Discord with a link to the ongoing ahelp and tells you to just indefinitely ban them and make them appeal. Excluding Trial Game Admins, Senior Game Admins and Head Game Admins, all admins are equally “ranked”. A headmin is not currently available.

I would proceed with the ahelp as per usual, consulting the banning policy rather than the words of the first admin. Perhaps the other admin misread the manual, or it has been updated between this time. In regard to the second admin, I would respectfully inform them that I am handling the ahelp, and that the jurisdiction for it rests in my hands, and while their input is considered, I have authority to decide this case. If the admin's insistence seems to be of malice or some other motive other than simply giving input, I would consult a h.igher ranked member of the team later in regards to their actions, informing them of the second admin's interjection, but not of the first.

End

Anything else we should know about or have questions about:

The hours I have given are normally when I play Space Station. They can be flexible, and likely will be.

Edited by Redcreeper