DanceMan Admin Application

What's your Space Station 14 Username:

DanceMan

What's your Discord Username:

damnit_wizard but in Goob I use the server alias Randy Fleufer(DanceMan)

How long have you been playing Space Station 14?:

About two years

(OPTIONAL) How long have you been playing Space Station 13?:

I played a few rounds of SS13 in 2020 in both /tg/ and RMC but didn't stick with it.

What's your playtime amount on the Goob Station Server:

About 83HR on Goob and 5HR on Goob 2 MRP

How old are you:

Have you ever been banned from the Goob Station Server:

Nope!

Have you played on any other SS13 or SS14 servers? If so, name them, and tell us your playtime on the server(s):

SS14 -

WIzden Salamander - 250HRs

Wizden LRP Servers - ~100Hrs

Delta V - 5 hrs

Frontier - 8hrs

Black Pants Legion - 80hrs

------------------------------------------

Time

How many hours can you admin per week: 

6-10 conservatively

On what days can you get on to Admin:

No specific days blocked out aside from first Monday of every month (I produce a live show those days)

What timezone are you in:

Central Time (UTC-6)

General Questions

Why do you want to become a Game Admin? Go into detail about it and tell us a lot about it:

I really like the server and the community that's been fostered on the Goob server. I'm not the loudest person in Discord but I want to help support the game. I'm usually on during low pop hours (10p-1am) and saw an opportunity to support during the hours during the quiet hours and help low pop times. Further, I believe I've got the right experience for this. I've been a Game Master for Electronic Arts, NCSoft, and Trion Worlds, supporting in-game events and code of conduct behavior for years. I was also a Game Admin for a few MUSHes and RP Admin as well. There was a case that happened a few weeks ago when a raider came on after a match, was self-antag'ing all shift (confirmed by end of round screen was not an antag) and after the round started pasting hate speech to block out chat in OOC and then later in-game again in Common and I was like, man this guy just needs a kick and a ban. Folks stepped in about 30-45m later which was appreciated, but just highlighted there's opportunities I'm available that I could help. Further, those low-pop late night shifts are kinda quiet and would be fun to throw some events to keep things more interesting than just another Fland SM run amok.

Do you have any prior admin or staff experience on another SS13/SS14 server? If so, tell us about your experiences during that time, and if possible, give us proof of this:

Not for SS14 or SS13 specifically.

What role do you think Game Admins serve, in detail:

Address bad actors in ways that are appropriate to the situation and (if applicable) harm caused to ensure players have a good and fun experience. On top of that, support in-game events to keep the game fresh and fun.

What are you primarily interested in doing as an admin?:

Just making sure folks have a good time. If that means events, great. If that means talking to or removing a bad actor, that's what the job asks for.

What are you least interested in doing as an admin?:

Drama. Like we're just here to play the spaceman game, y'all.

What makes you a great addition to staff?:

I have a ton of experience working as a in-game GM which means I've seen it all. I've been held to the highest standards and that's where my career grew from (I'm now a SysAdmin in my day job). It's very easy for me to remain impartial and view things objectively.

What do you think is the current roleplay status of the LRP server, what do you think can be done to improve it:

It feels less chaotic than the WizDen LRP servers, which I really appreciate. It's not full MRP by any stretch, but it was a comfortable move from Salamander to Goob LRP. I think right now we've still got an influx of a lot of new blood and that a lot of those folks want to play and are interested in growing and learning. I think the way that improves though is by making sure that they get the chance to learn the game, both its culture and how we handle RP and how to learn the systems. I've been doing this when I'm CE by teaching my new folks the ropes, how to setup AME, Singulo, Solars, and how to troubleshoot power. But more than the rote actions, but how the systems work and interconnect (such as power flow). I think events are fun and exciting and happen at about the right rate.

(OPTIONAL) What do you think is the current roleplay status of the MRP server, what do you think can be done to improve it:

I love the MRP server because everything is new. I think we'll need to switch off general OOC in the next couple weeks as the sever population is growing and stabilizing. I think we need to iron out some details in the Player Guide to make certain things clear and start nudging people to behave more like an MRP server rather than an LRP EE fork.

Other than banning problematic players, what admin actions do you believe have the biggest positive impact?:

Talking to people. If someone's got questions, patience and talking through stuff. Sometimes people have questions about a system and it's okay to talk. Events are fun when people are up for it, but they can also completely sideline a round.

Have you ever had a negative experience with a game admin (even on another SS13/14 server)? If so what, if anything, would you do differently?:

Yeah, on Wizden Leviathan. I was a new Atmosian and I needed to fill a gas canister. I setup a pipe off the distro into a connector port and the other Atmosian out of the blue was extremely abusive, crit'd my character, put them in the trit chamber. I ahelp'd it, but the admin said 'it's something that could've been dangerous so it's okay' and I left SS14 for a while after that. There was no antag action, there was no signs of a maxcap, I was obviously a new player and got self-antag'd by a player. I would've warned the other player for self-antag because you can't just attack people. But there was a lot of soft skills missing there from the admin as well to defuse the situation, but the admin was either just tuned out or didn't care and that pulled me out of the game real hard.

Have you ever had a good experience with a game admin? If so, what was it?:

Yeah, there's a couple times I had a question about a system (this was on Salamander after Wizden had nerfed Atmos again) and the O2 miner wasn't keeping up like I expected it to. They popped in, explained what was going on, and that was that. No problem at all. Easy peasy.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality in an admin?:

Patience. There's obvious stuff to action on, but a lot of folks just need patience and to listened to.

Scenarios Questions (You should put more than just one or two sentences.)

It is the start of the round. There are 60 players on the server. The game mode is traitors, traitors have not been selected yet. There are three players who decided to observe the round instead of join it orbiting you. Two of them are encouraging you to “do something funny”.

Let's give it a few minutes. There might be some people who are really excited to be a traitor. We haven't even given Eng time to setup power or the Clown to throw a pie. With 60 people, shenanigans are gonna start. That said, if after 20m it's still quiet I'd be inclined to try something like pirates or clowns, or maybe some interesting sentient artifact.

Say, someone who already has a note on RDM from before, for example, was to RDM and kill two people, but they've left already before you could admin help them. How would you handle the problem?

72hr Game Ban per the docs. If there's a way to note their account, absolutely leave a note.

The Captain has disconnected before they died or the round ended. This is the first time they've disconnected while playing a very important job. What do you do?

In most cases, wait a few minutes. People's internet dies and that sucks. If they're Captain, they've obviously put a lot of time into the server and I doubt it's obvious. It's a first time offense. If they're not back after a few, it's a warning. If I know them, I might try to hit them up on Discord to see if it's an internet thing as well? But either way, first offensive, it feels like a warning. If it's something more obvious like the player ragequitting, that may be up to a 5d RB

You see a chemist who has only made basic meds start gathering materials and talking about making uranium foam grenades in chat. Right as they start making the grenades they roll as a midround sleeper Syndicate. How would you handle the situation if at all?

I'm going to watch this to see if this gets abused. If they don't have kill objectives, I'm not sure why they need the foam grenades anyways, so it's primed if they start killing randoms with no reason. And if they start acting out that's a pretty quick message to knock it off with potential of RB. The talking about making foam grenades pre-rolling sleeper is not great, but they got sleeper so it's fair. And there's a decent chance Sec will catch them.

The Head of Security has decided to coup the Captain. The Head of Personnel agrees with the Head of Security and has taken up arms in case it is necessary to aid in effecting the arrest of the Captain. The Captain is hiding with the Quartermaster in the cargo shuttle to avoid the Clown who has stolen the captains saber as a non-antag. There are five people named in this scenario. Please describe what actions, if any, you would take in relation to each, and why.

Oh god what a mess. All right! Unless this is a pre-sanctioned event (which could be fun if all parties are into it)

HoS - Unreasonable failure to follow an order from a team leader 5d RB

HoP - Unreasonable failure to follow an order from a team leader 5d RB

Captain - What did you do to piss off the HoS so bad. If there's incompetence, that's something we can handle pending on what was done.

QM - Has done nothing wrong

Clown - Should know better than to steal the Captains' Saber. Normally, I'd let Sec deal with that in-game but since this whole thing is a mess, i'd be curious if the clown was RPing as supporting the HoS then it's a warning. If it's just being an ass, 12hrGB.

You see a clown using crayon to write on the floor in front of security. The clown writings are negative things about security, like “shitsec”. A secoff tells the clown that they’re being arrested for vandalism, stuns them, and cuffs them. Before the secoff is able to get the clown into the brig, a passenger slips the secoff, causing them to lose their baton, then uses the baton to stun another secoff that comes to help as the clown runs away. The passenger escapes through disposals. Having heard an AOS radio callout, the detective enters maintenance near disposals and shoots the passenger to crit. There are four players in this scenario, the clown, the passenger, the secoff, and the detective.

This looks like it's been handled primarily IC which makes sense to me. That said

Clown - Vandalism is an IC crime. If I don't see Shitsec outside of their department it's a surprise.

Secoff  - Stun and cuff makes sense to me.

Passenger - If not an antag, there may be need for a warning for a self-antag here.

Detective - Okay, is it code blue, is it code yellow. It depends. The passenger is armed and the detective is by himself. I don't see a big deal as long as the Det takes them to medical and then to sec to serve time. I feel like that's an appropriate level of escalation based on the events

You and another Admin have been doing your job without problems, you then catch a command staff member misuse contraband. While you are in the middle of the ahelp, the other admin jumps into the middle of your ahelp with a rule clarification that is plainly incorrect. Without the interruption, what would have you asked the command staff member, and how would you have responded or reacted to the interrupting admin?

DM the fellow admin to get our stories straight, cite rules if needed. I think it's important that we as admins are on the same page and don't fight to contradict each other. If and when we get things straightened out, have the admin who interrupted reach out to the player and correct themselves. As for the command staff member, it depends really on the contraband and how they're misusing it. Likely just a talking to or a warning

You are ahelping a player about an issue. The player has no prior noted issues. A few days earlier, an admin had told you that this type of situation should result in a temporary ban for a first offense, and you are confident that this situation is not substantially different from the type that admin was describing. During the ahelp, another admin pings you on Discord with a link to the ongoing ahelp and tells you to just indefinitely ban them and make them appeal. Excluding Trial Game Admins, Senior Game Admins and Head Game Admins, all admins are equally “ranked”. A headmin is not currently available.

Let's stick with the book on this one then. We'll talk through it, and this is all hypothetical but get us all on the same page. Let's do the temp ban, and while the ban is on-going, reach out to SGA/HGA for clarification. If the banned person comes back and is still offending, it's going to be very easy to justify the perma ban to appeal anyways.

End

Anything else we should know about or have questions about:

Nah, y'all are great. I'm happy to help if you'll have me, and I'm happy to keep playing and have fun either way. Thanks for making this cool server y'all.